Live Cameras
Jvari Monasteri is a Georgian Orthodox Monastery from the 6th century near Mtskheta, in eastern Georgia. Mtskheta is the location where St. Nino, the woman who Christianized Georgia, erected the first wooden cross. Its pedestal can still be seen in the center of the church. The name of monastery thranslates to “Monastery of the Cross”. It is a masterpiece of the early Medieval Period. The interior, once decorated with mosaics is rather plain today, but spectacular view opens from the church which extends to all four corners of the horizon. The beauty of the church and the amazing view from its environs is one Georgia’s most beautiful and memorable places. It stands on a rocky mountaintop at the confluence of the Mtkvari and Aragvi rivers, overlooking Mtskheta. In 1994, Jvari Monastery became a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Svetitskhoveli Cathedral is a Georgian Orthodox Church (cross-domed Church), which is located in the historic town of Mtskheta. According to history, Sidona, a local Jew, was buried here with Christ’s robe in her hands. The current cathedral was bouilt in the 11th century by the Georgian architect Arsukidze, though the site itself is even older and dates back to the early 4th century. It is the second largest church in the country (the first being, the recently consecrated Holy Trinity Cathedral (1995-2004)), and is listed as an UNESCO World Heritage Site. Svetitskhoveli, along with other monuments are archetypal examples of “the high artistic and cultural level attained by this ancient kingdom”.

Uplistsikhe, which literally translates into “The Fortress of God”, is an ancient rock-hewn town (from the 1st half of 1st millennium BC) in eastern Georgia, in Gori, Shida Kartli. The cave town is situated at the crossroads of some historically – important trade routes. It contains various structures dating back to the Early Iron Age and Late Middle Ages. It was the main center of paganism, and has a complex of ancient halls, caves, theaters, altars, pagan temples, secret tunnels, prisons, an apothecary, and passages, all of which were carved from stone over an area of 4 hectares. The city had a population of approximately 20,000. Between the 9th-10th centuries AD, a three-nave basilica was added to the complex. 

Borjomi is a resort town in the Samtskhe-Javakheti region located in south-central Georgia. It has as estimated population of 14,445 people. The town is famous for its mineral water industry (which is the number one export of Georgia), the Romanov summer place in Likani, and the World Wide Fund for Borjomi-Kharagauli National Park. Borjomi is a popilar spa and medical center due to the healing attributes of the area’s mineral springs. Borjomi is also home to the most extensive ecologically-themed amusement park in the Caucasus.

Likani Palace was formerly called – Romanov Palae from 1892-1895. Designed by Leopold Bilfeldt, Leon Benoi’s Romanov Palace was built along the bank of the Mtrkvari River as a summer mansion for Grand Duke Nicholas Mikhailovich of Russia. In newly independent Georgia, Likani Palace functions as a summer residence for the President of Georgia. Likani Park, popular recreational zone, is full of by oaks and conifer groves and has mineral springs with similar composition to the world-renowned “Borjomi” water. In addition, the palace ha another important landmar: a three-nave basilica church from the 8th-9th centuries AD.

Borjomi-Kharagauli National Park is located in central Georgia and encompasses the eastern part of the Lesser Caucasus Mountains. The park comprises 85,083 ha, which is more than 1% of Georgia’s total land mass. It was established in 1935 and it includes 6 districts – Borjomi, Kharagauli, Akhaltsikhe, Adigeni, Xashuri and Baghdadi. Administrative and visitors centers are located in Borjomi and Kharagauli. The park administration manages 4 various types of Protected Areas – Borjomi Nature Reserve, Borjomi-Kharagauli National Park, Nedzvi Managed Reserve and the Goderdzi Petrified Forest Natural Monument. The Borkomi-Kharagauli National Park tourist route network has hiking trails established for single and milti-day excursions. The entire tourist route network runs 400-2,642 meters. All the paths are marked and well arranged. There are also tourist shelters, picnic spots and camping sites set up along the routes. There are also specific sites where visitors can build campfires. The national park offers hiking, horse riding, biking, snow shoeing, as well as some cultural and educational tours. The general tourist routes are open throughout the year. The national park visitors’ center will help you to hire a guide, horse, or local transportation to and from the park.

Timotesubani is a medieval Georgian Orthodox Christian monastery complex located at the eponymous village in Borjomi Gorge. The complex comprises a series of structures built between the 11th and 18th centuries. The largest and artistically most exquisite edifice is the Church of the Dormition, which was constructed durint the – “Golden Age” – of Georgia in the 11th Century. The church is a domed cross-in-square design built of pink stone, with three apses facing towards the east. Its dome rests upon the two freely standing pillars and ledges of the altar. Later, two portals – the western and southern ones – were added. The interior was extensively frescoed during the 1200s.

Green Monastery is also known as Chitakhevi ST. George’s Monastery. It was built in the 9th century and has two buildings, a basilica-style church and a bell tower. Both buildings are built with stone and are simple in terms of their décor. The bell tower has two floors, the first which has a chapel. There is a marvelously-carved gazebo on the second floor.